Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fresh and Easy Dinner

The beautiful weather on Friday prompted me to quit the sewing room and get outside for the afternoon. Our yard was in sore need of beautification and I worked mowing grass and cleaning flower beds until it was too dark to see. Needless to say, I was worn completely out and still had supper to fix. Our asparagus bed has begun to yield (after planting it two years ago) so that was the only start to some semblance of supper. A recipe I gathered from a electric coop magazine last summer beckoned as a quick and easy remedy for our hunger. I have relied on this dish a couple of other times and it has become a go-to recipe in my notebook.


I tweak it to fit whatever fresh ingredients I have. Here's the tweaked version I used this time. I have also used browned Italian sausage in place of the shrimp.
The fresh asparagus and tomatoes made it look so pretty that I wanted to share it with you.

Chef's C's Healthy Tomato Basil Pasta
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c.. chopped onion
4 c. fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 T. fresh basil, chopped or 1 T. dried
1 T. fresh parsley, chopped or 2 t. dried
 l t. sugar
1/4 t. each salt and pepper
3/4- 1 lb. shrimp
1/2 lb. or more of asparagus, cut in 1 1/2  inch pieces
4 oz. dry Barilla Plus Angel Hair pasta, or any angel hair pasta

On medium-high heat, add oil to saute pan. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent,
approximately 2 minutes. Add asparagus and tomatoes and cook uncovered about 7 minutes.
Add shrimp, spices and sugar and cook until shrimp is pink.
Boil pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain. Serve the sauce over pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment